Weddings can take up a lot of time and be a stressful event to plan - some brides decide to opt for a wedding planner to help them get everything in line for their important day. If you've decided to hire a wedding planner, you'll need to find the right person that can help you bring your dream day to life, so for this blog, we wanted to take you through some of the questions you should ask your wedding planner at the initial interview.
What does a wedding planner do?
Before we start, we wanted to cover the fundamental question of what a wedding planner will do for you. Essentially, wedding planners are a person(s) that will assist you in planning or planning the majority of your wedding day. Your wedding planner may take care of any of the following:
- Coordinate the flowers with your florist.
- Do a walk-through of the venue with you, then coordinate with venue staff moving forward to ensure your venue is locked in and everything is progressing as planned.
- Assist (or take care of) all wedding invitations, cards, notices, and other stationery.
- Give you access to a network of wedding vendors, such as florists, caterers, and more.
- Manage all of your RSVPs
- Source wedding props or other items you may need for your ceremony or reception
- Working with you to keep everything on track and, more importantly, within budget!
- Taking care of the setting up (and taking down) everything involved in your wedding day, such as a bridal arch, tables, etc.
- Styling your event or working with a stylist for your event.
- Any other thing you'll need involved in planning your wedding day.
Knowing what questions to ask your wedding planner can be just as tricky as finding the planner in the first place. However, you can ask several questions that will give you some information to assist in hiring the right wedding planner for your day.
How many weddings have you planned/what's your experience as a wedding planner?
This is an important question to ask - you'll want an experienced wedding planner, someone who knows what they're doing and can execute every task you'll need them to do. Ask for references, photos of past weddings they've been a part of, and check out their social media/website - it's a great way to see how past clients felt about the services they've provided.
What will you do as my wedding planner?
Every wedding planner will have their ideas of what services they can provide - it's essential to find out upfront what that will consist of and how it'll benefit you. Ask the planner what duties they will cover and what they'll do as your wedding planner, this may seem like an obvious question, but it's essential for clarity.
What are your availabilities?
You'll want to make sure your potential wedding planner will have the time to execute all of their goals, ideas, and plans for your wedding, so finding out if they have the time to dedicate to planning your wedding is something you'll want to find out ASAP.
What vendors will you work with?
Most wedding planners tend to have a network of other wedding vendors that they work with to bring weddings to life on the planning side. However, it's always an excellent option to do your due diligence and check in on the potential vendors that can be used for your wedding day.
Will you work alone or as part of a team?
Some wedding planners will cover everything on their own, while others may have assistants or partners helping them. It's essential to check in on this and get the contact info for anyone involved in helping your wedding planner if you'll need to contact them.
Can you work within my budget?
Budgeting is a huge part of planning out your wedding. Make sure you're upfront with your potential wedding planner about your budget and ask them about possible costs - weddings can quickly go over budget if you're not careful!
Hopefully, these questions will help you find the right wedding planner. If you have any other ideas for questions, other brides could consider asking, please let us know in the comments below!